new to teaching but old to the love of learning

Disadvantages research

Disadvantages when it comes to implementing gamification in the classroom can be varies depending on schools, policies, and beliefs. The main disadvantages I found in my research that could be spread the easiest across all sectors were:

1. Decreases student’s attention span researchers are finding that the fast pace and immediate reward system of gamification create issues in students’ attention spans. This issue could rebound on to the student’s other learning and they may feel disappointed in the other parts of their education when they find out that they cannot have the same kind of feedback learning experience.
  2. Cost is an issue that can occur when it comes to using gamification systems in large schools, and for many students. There may be equipment costs, software costs, and training costs for instructors that sometimes get passed off to student registration fees. There are often also maintenance-related costs for systems delivered or hosted in schools
  3. Student assessment can get difficult when it comes to telling how the results of these gamification results tie into the curriculum and into the overall assessment of the students learning. Most games do have a built-in tracking system but you will need to find a way to translate the games results to fulfill curricular competencies.
  4. Game logistic Many times, setting up a game for your course requires a lot of prior planning and logistics. Questions you need to ask are: Will students be able to play the game at home? Is there an additional cost if they use it outside of the classroom? Are there are enough computers available for students to play the game in class?  Most of the time you will need to sit down and play the game yourself all the way through, which can take about 40 hours before you fully understand the game and objectives.

1. Joan Jarvis

As a teacher, I have definitely noticed an over-all decline in students’ ability to stay focussed. Also sad to hear that some primary students are playing games rated teen/mature etc.

Another interesting note is that many parents down in Silicon Valley are choosing to send their children to “technology free schools”… makes you wonder what they know about “young children & technology”.

Having said that, technology is amazing in the classroom when used appropriately 🙂

Dad

• kirbyjarvis

100% agree with the comment about the ignorance of those parents sending their children to those schools… it is scary to think of how they are setting their children up without knowing how to type, make websites, and most importantly internet safety yikes.

• Paul Jarvis

Hi Kirby,
        I didn’t realize you were responding to my comments, until just now.
        Anyway, I think you took this message the wrong way…
        Although I love technology in the classroom (my students rarely ever get to play games, but use the technology to learn new skills, find information, show their knowledge on a subject, or to promote our class identity), when I mentioned that some “Silicon Valley” parents send their kids to “technology-free schools”, their reasons were sound. The parents wanted to promote natural play (often in the outdoors) and learning from their natural environment. The articles I have read about the “Silicon Valley parents” were also referring to pre-school and primary aged children and studies about how screen time may be affecting the development of children’s brains. So when “tech savvy parents” are choosing to send their kids to technology-free schools… it makes you wonder what the parents might know about “young children using too much technology at a young age”, especially with so many parents using technology as baby sitting.

On the other hand teaching kids how to use technology and using technology to expand their creative thinking… that is absolutely necessary in today’s world 🙂
        Dad